Products for Surface Analysis
Different methods are available for surface analysis.
X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) also known as Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis (ESCA) is the most widely used surface analysis technique because it can be applied to a broad range of materials and provides valuable quantitative and chemical state information from the surface of the material being studied. The average depth of analysis for an XPS measurement is approximately 5 nm.
Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (TOF-SIMS) provides elemental, chemical state, and molecular information from surfaces of solid materials. The average depth of analysis for a TOF-SIMS measurement is approximately 1 nm.
Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES) provides quantitative elemental and chemical state information from surfaces of solid materials. The average depth of analysis for an AES measurement is approximately 5 nm.
X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS)
The information XPS provides about surface layers or thin film structures is important for many industrial and research applications where surface or thin film composition plays a critical role in performance including: nanomaterials, photovoltaics, catalysis, corrosion, adhesion, electronic devices and packaging, magnetic media, display technology, surface treatments, and thin film coatings used for numerous applications.
XPS is typically accomplished by exciting a samples surface with mono-energetic Al k? x-rays causing photoelectrons to be emitted from the sample surface. An electron energy analyzer is used to measure the energy of the emitted photoelectrons. From the binding energy and intensity of a photoelectron peak, the elemental identity, chemical state, and quantity of a detected element can be determined.
- PHI VersaProbe III Scanning XPS Microprobe a flexible multitechnique XPS instrument
- PHI Quantera III Scanning XPS Microprobe highest performance XPS system with full automation
Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (TOF-SIMS)
TOF-SIMS surface analysis equipment provides elemental, chemical and molecular information by measuring the mass of ions that have been ejected from a samples surface with the use of a focused ion beam.
- PHI nanoTOFII can be configured with a wide variety of options to optimize performance for organic materials, inorganic materials, or both, depending on customer requirements.
- The superior performance patented TRIFT analyzer realized improvement of product performance and manage process control.
- Parallel Imaging MS/MS – NEW! Changing TOF-SIMS from I Think to I know!
Auger electron spectroscopy (AES)
AES surface analysis equipment provides elemental and in some instances chemical information with the use of a finely focused electron beam to excite the Auger electrons. The analysis of submicron features is routine and thin film analysis is possible with the use of a sputter ion gun to remove material.
- PHI 710 Scanning Auger Nanoprobe provides high performance Auger (AES) Spectral Analysis, Auger imaging, and sputter depth profiling of complex materials.
- The PHI 710 is the only Auger with a CMA Analyzer. The CMA enables our customers to analyze “real world”, topographical samples.
X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) / Hard X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (HAXPES)
The Quantes is an X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) laboratory system with which conventional XPS Plus HAXPES experiments can be performed. The Quantes has a “soft” monochromatic Aluminum Kα and a “hard” monochromatic Chromium Kα source. The switching between the two scan sources is automated and software controlled. The scanning dual source is designed to converge with both X-rays in the same analysis area. The depth of analysis is about 3 times higher with the Cr X-ray source (HAXPES) than with the Al X-ray source.
- Quantes for 3 times greater XPS depth Analysis using Two Different Energy X-rays, a hard and soft X-ray source at the same spot
- XPS/HAXPS in a fully automated, ease of use instrumnent
Physical Electronics GmbH
85622 Feldkirchen near Munich
Your contact person: Thomas Groß
Telefon: +49 89 96275 0